Motorola recently released the Android Nougat to the Moto G4 series, and many believe that the company will soon roll-out the same update to the Moto X Play.
But the company has not commenced any soak test for the Moto X Play series yet, leaving many wondering whether they will be able to enjoy the new features of the Nougat this month.
If patience is not your strongest suit, then Moto X Play owners can try installing the CM14.1 series firmware developed by the world renowned custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure the USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Moto X Play) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
Disclaimer: we cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.
- Android 7.1 Nougat-based CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM for Moto X Play: HERE (build date: 14/12/2016)
- CyanogenMod Recovery: HERE (build date: 14/12/2016)
- Google Apps:HERE
- USB Driver:HERE
Tutorial: Update Moto X Play with Android 7.1 Nougat via CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM via TWRP-
Step 1: DownloadAndroid v7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect Moto X Play to the computer
Step 3: Place the CyanogenMod Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow into the phone’s storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone’s memory (full) by selecting ‘Wipe’ option. Once done, select – ‘Swipe to Factory Reset’ perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap ‘Install’ by the selecting .Zip file in the phone’s memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message ‘Successful’ appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select ‘Wipe cache/dalvik’. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation